Monday, July 25, 2016

Longer than the Earth

Job 11:7-9 Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty?... Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea.

Job confirms it. Not only is God's love wider than the sea, it is longer than the earth. I think this is what the Apostle Paul meant in Ephesians 3:18:

I pray that you may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth [of God's love].

I have flown around the earth a few times in my life, both as an MK and as a missionary. There is nothing quite like a 40 hour journey from Dallas, USA to Chiang Mai, Thailand to confirm the reality that the earth is long. This is what I learn about God's love from the length of the earth.

God's love is so long that He has always loved me. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...My frame was not hidden from you, when I was made in the secret pace...Your eyes saw my unformed body...Psalm 139: 13-16. He created me. He loved me from the moment of my conception. Ephesians 2:10 says that I am his masterpiece.

God's love will never end. He will never on purpose stop loving me. From everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him Psalm 103:17a. His love will last through all eternity. Earthly relationships will end with death. "Death cannot stop true love", Westley said in The Princess Bride. Westley's comment is meant to bring a chuckle, but it is not true. My friend Ben is learning this as he grapples with loosing his wife to death. His love for her continues, but what does that look like now? In heaven? What if he marries again? Only God's true love cannot be stopped by death.

Nothing I do will make God's love stop. I cannot even force him to stop. Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord Romans 8:39. Sometimes we think that we have done something so awful that God could not love us anymore. That is simply not the case. His love is looooong.
The love of Jesus has length. When considering the length of God's love, ask yourself "When did the love of God start towards me? How long will it continue?" These truths measure the length of God's love. Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3) David Guzak
How does it make you feel to realize that God will never stop loving you?

Other entries in this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment